Lamb Shanks & Persian Rice
A Perfect Holiday Meal
Holiday traditions around our place include Persian food which is bursting with flavor and can be a great option for a variety of functions, from feeding a large number of people to being a delicious meal for just your family.
Lamb Shank Recipe
• 3 tablespoons of olive oil
• 4 lamb shanks
• 2 tsp of cinnamon
• 4 tsp of nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp of cardamon
• 1 tsp of black pepper
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 can of crushed, fire-roasted tomatoes (28oz size)
• 2 bay leaves
• 6 cups of chicken broth
• 1/2 cup red wine
• 7 garlic cloves
• 1 branch of rosemary
• 1 branch of thyme
• 2 sweet yellow onions
- Trim fat off of shanks
- Chop and fry onions and garlic in olive oil until golden brown
- Add spices to onion and garlic
- Add lamb shanks and red wine
- Stir and mix until red wine is absorbed
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, rosemary and thyme.
- Cover and let shanks cook for about 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender (simmering)
- Serve & enjoy!
Tah Dig – Persian Basmati Rice
• 4 cups water
• 1 cup long-grain basmati rice
• 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/8 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
• 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Place 4 cups water in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Add rice; cook for 10 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- Combine yogurt, salt, and saffron in a medium bowl. Add rice to yogurt mixture, stirring well.
- Melt butter in a medium nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add rice mixture to pan, lightly packing rice down. Wrap a clean, dry dish towel around lid to pan, tying it at the handle; place prepared lid on pan. Cook rice, covered, over medium heat 20 minutes (do not stir or uncover). Reduce temperature to medium-low; cook an additional 20 minutes or until rice is tender on top and a golden crust forms on bottom.
- Loosen the rice crust with a rubber spatula around the edges. Place a plate over the top of pan, and invert the rice onto plate, browned side up. Cut into 6 wedges, and serve immediately.